Hatchery Arts, parent organization of the Hollywood Fringe Festival, will identify a minimum of two staff, six to eight current or past festival participants, and one board member who will serve as the organization’s Access Committee. This committee will meet on a regular basis to conduct assessments of Hatchery Arts’ organizational practices and processes, document successful approaches to equity, and identify areas of inequity that need addressing by Hatchery Arts leadership and staff.
This committee will also be responsible for making recommendations and setting equity goals for subsequent phases of Hatchery Arts’ CEI planning. This initial phase of work will commence in January of 2020 and conclude September 30, 2021; results of the audits and the recommended next steps will be shared publicly on the Hollywood Fringe Festival website and other publications as appropriate, as well as at regular meetings of the Hatchery Arts Board of Directors.
Hatchery Arts intends to preserve the dignity and professionalism of the workplace as well as protect the right of employees to be free from discrimination, unlawful harassment, retaliation and inappropriate conduct toward others. Hatchery Arts leadership and staff acknowledge that it is critical to include practices throughout the fabric of the organization to advance equity within its community and sphere of influence. This commitment is infused in all areas of the organization’s work as described below. Hatchery Arts will implement its commitment to cultural equity and inclusion through the following methods/methodologies:
Attendees and participants for the festival and year-round programming:
- Continue to develop and expand programs that provide financial and production assistance to producers and artists who might otherwise be excluded from participating in the festival due to economic challenges.
- Establish and promote new protocols that facilitate diverse participation in the festival in terms of race/ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability status, religion, class, and indigenous heritage.
- Expand our marketing efforts to reach Spanish-speaking audiences
- Further our outreach to festival stakeholders to encourage and broaden ADA compliance across the event.
- Review our code of conduct and other policies that define the bounds of acceptable behavior and respect in our community as it pertains to our diverse population.
- Develop job description language and hiring practices to remove barriers that discourage application submissions from a diverse applicant pool in terms of race/ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability status, religion, class, and indigenous heritage.
- Develop and review employee practices through an employee handbook
- Assess organizational culture in all teams to check for and address dynamics and conditions that hinder a diverse workforce in terms of race/ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability status, religion, class, and indigenous heritage.
- Establish frameworks for constructive discourse about identity, equity, diversity, inclusion, and access.
Board and Governance:
- Develop protocols that consider race/ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability status, religion, class, and indigenous heritage to inform board member recruitment.
Who will be represented on our committee:
- Two Hatchery Arts (Hollywood Fringe) staffers that will act as non-partisan liaisons between this committee and the Hatchery Arts organization.
- One board member that will act as a non-partisan liaison between this committee and the Hatchery Arts Board.
- Six to eight current or past Hollywood Fringe participants that contribute to the race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability status, religion, class, and indigenous heritage diversity of the Fringe community.
Meeting dates of the ACCESS committee in 2020 (must be available for 3/4, all meetings will take place via zoom until further notice):
- May 19, 2020, 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- July 21, 2020, 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Sept 15, 2020, 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- November 17, 2020, 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
To apply to be on our committee, please fill out this form. Applications close May 13, 2020 at 10:00 pm PST.